The Human Rights Council must act on NicaraguaSeptember 18, 2018
18 September 2018
Statement to UN Human Rights Council 39th session (10-28 September 2018)
Item 4: situations requiring the Council’s attention
The Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom (WILPF) deeply condemns the brutal repression by Nicaragua against its population, as documented in reports of the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR) and the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights. We urge the Nicaraguan government to implement their recommendations without delay.
In particular, the government must:
- Put an immediate end to harassment, intimidation, stigmatization, criminalization and other types of reprisals in relation to participation in the protests, and respect the rights to freedom of expression and peaceful assembly.
- Stop arbitrary detention and torture of activists;
- Immediately disarm and dismantle pro-Government armed groups, such as the so-called “policía voluntaria” (voluntary police), and protect the population from attacks and other actions by such groups.
- Resume the National Dialogue as the only space useful for the search of a solution to this socio-political and economic crisis.
- Call elections as previously demanded by the National Dialogue.
- Implement fully Security Council resolution 1325, including by consulting with women leaders and women’s civil society organizations about negotiations towards a peaceful end of the crisis.
We urge the Human Rights Council members and observer States to heed the call by the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights to take all available measures to address the serious human rights violations in Nicaragua. In this regard, we support the request by 54 regional NGOs for the Council to convene a special session. WILPF further calls on all States to take practical actions, including sanctions against the Nicaraguan President and his family.
 IACHR Issues Report on Nicaragua’s Serious Human Rights Situation, available at http://www.oas.org/en/iachr/media_center/PReleases/2018/134.asp
 See Nicaragua: Human rights crisis demands action and accountability – UN report, available at https://www.ohchr.org/EN/NewsEvents/Pages/DisplayNews.aspx?NewsID=23481&LangID=E
Download PDF Version: Statement on NicaraguaNicaragua Human Rights Council Statement