WILPF UN Event and Web Associate
The Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom (WILPF) is an anti-militarist feminist organisation with a specific focus on issues concerning women, peace and security and sections, groups and partners all over the globe.
We are looking for a dedicated UN Event and Web Associate to join the inspiring work of our Women, Peace and Security (WPS) Programme based in New York next door to the United Nations’ Headquarters. The WPS Programme advocates for a holistic implementation of the resolution and the entire Women, Peace and Security Agenda and monitors the implementation of the UN Security Council resolution 1325. The WPS Programme uses a wide range of tools from policy advocacy, research, monitoring, capacity building and communications, and runs the website peacewomen.org which is our central hub for sharing information on the WPS Agenda and women’s role in peacemaking. The WPS Programme collaborates and organises work with WILPF’s human rights, crisis response, and disarmament programmes to achieve common objectives for feminist peace.
Each year, WILPF hosts a number of larger international delegations of women participating in advocacy events in connection with UN conferences, such as the Commission on the Status of Women, High Level Political Forum, and October anniversary of United Nations Security Council Resolution 1325.
As our new UN Event and Web Associate, your role with be two-folded. You will on a daily basis be responsible for the maintenance of our website (uploading of content, content creation, troubleshooting) and social media channels. At the same time you will be responsible for ensuring that all work around our delegations – from logistic to outreach – is well organised and runs smoothly.
This position will be a good fit for you if you are an extroverted communicator with flair for details, logistics, and websites. You need to be able to hold many balls in the air, to manage quick turnarounds, and to be a positive and solution-oriented team player.
- Develop, coordinate and implement project plans for WILPF international delegations arriving in New York (i.e., Commission on the Status of Women (March 2019), High Level Political Forum (July 2019), Anniversary of United Nations Security Council resolution 1325 (October 2019)
- Provide logistical support and coordination for WILPF events and international delegations:
- Coordinate events and happenings with other WILPF programmes and partners
- Coordinate visas, flights, hotels, and support international participants
- Coordinate trainings, programme etc. when delegations have arrived
- Support events, outreach, and follow up
- Communications and outreach before, during and after events
- Prepare and implement communications around events (blogs, flyers, press releases, media briefings, calendars entries, outcome documents)
- Represent WILPF at events as needed
- Implement communication plans for WILPF messaging
- Maintain peacewomen.org website and social media including content development on feminist peace
- Implement the web and social media integration project between peacewomen.org and wilpf.org
- Coordinate publications and newsletters including Scorecard and Toolkits, when needed
- Act as main liaison with technical team, and provide technical support for the UN Office
- Liaise with WILPF Communications Manager and Associate on outreach plans
- Participate in monthly WILPF editorial meetings
- Liaise with other WILPF teams to coordinate work
- Respond to general requests to the WILPF by email, mail and telephone, or delegating to, and supervising the carrying out of this responsibility by, others.
- Assist in general maintenance of WILPF’s Women, Peace and Security Programme through performance of ad hoc tasks and responsibilities as mutually agreed with the relevant supervisor
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent knowledge of the Women, Peace and Security Agenda and the UN system.
- Experience and commitment to gender, women’s rights and peace, disarmament and particularly related to women, peace and security.
- Strong project/event management skills: experienced in preparing and implementing project plans including travel coordination (visas, flights, hotels) and event logistics (design, coordination, promotion, communications, media relations, reporting and follow-up).
- Strong communication skills include: experienced in preparing and implementing communications plans and outreach strategies including using traditional and social media (press releases, blogs, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram), and electronic newsletters (e.g., MailChimp).
- Excellent knowledge of web development, online web tools and user engagement.
- Strong experience in project management, and ability to establish priorities and to maintain variety of projects and activities simultaneously. Experience from grassroots and/or membership organisation a plus.
- Ability to represent WILPF professionally.
- Fluency in language other than English (especially Arabic, Spanish, or French) a plus.
- Good knowledge of and interest in WILPF’s work, aims and principles.
Education and Experience
- Masters/graduate degree preferable in journalism, communication, marketing, or a related field with gender/politics experience; or: masters/graduate degree in women’s rights, peace, international relations, human rights, social sciences or a related field with strong communications experience.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant work experience especially in communications and project management.
- Strong collaborative skills and ability to organise work across programmes to achieve common objectives.
- Strong computer skills: fluency in MS Office 365; experienced in managing or developing website CMS platforms (e.g., Drupal or WordPress); experience with mobile applications, graphic design (Indesign, PhotoShop) or video production a plus; experience with Trello, Slack, and project management tools also a plus
- Prior experience in NGOs, UN system and/or campaign organisations a plus.
Other: Applicants for this position must possess current US work authorisation valid from start date.
To be considered for the WILPF UN Event and Web Associate position, applicants should submit the following documents to: jobs (a) wilpf.org
– CV or Resume, indicating education, relevant past activities and experience
– Cover Letter (1 page, single-spaced), indicating start date available
– 2 References, including names and contact information and/or a letter of recommendation from someone who can speak to your professional experience
– No phone calls please. Please e-mail abigail (a) peacewomen.org with any questions.
The deadline for application is 17 February 2019. Preferred start date is 4 March 2019.
Budgeted salary is up to $36,000 USD/year for 80% role (4 days/week) plus benefits.
The subject of the e-mail should be “UN Event and Web Associate Application”, and all documents should be combined into one PDF or DOCX file.