WE’RE HIRING! MENA ASSOCIATE
WILPF is an anti-militarist feminist organisation with a specific focus on issues concerning women, peace and security. We are looking for a Middle East and North Africa (MENA) Associate to join the exciting and challenging work we do in the region.
Whether your skills have been learnt in the classroom or in the field, joining us will enable you to transfer them to working in an international NGO that stigmatizes war and advocates for feminist peace.
Your tasks with us will be diverse and often demanding, but always interesting! They will involve liaising with our national partners and sections to implement the project activities in our 7 focus countries: Yemen, Libya, Iraq, Syria, Palestine, Lebanon and Egypt.
As a MENA Associate, you will gain experience in developing, implementing and following-up on project activities with grassroots feminist activists as well as with like-minded international organisations.
You will also be supporting the MENA team in devising advocacy strategies, conducting research materials, and liaising with other departments within WILPF.
You will also be providing translation and proofreading from English to Arabic and vice versa.
We encourage you to apply if you are interested in women’s rights in the MENA region, and in feminist perspectives on peace and conflicts in particular. This position is the best fit for an engaged, motivated and independent women’s rights advocate who wants to discover the world of feminist movement building!
- WILPF MENA work:
Advance WILPF work in the MENA region including the following:
- Participation in the development and implementation of project plans to ensure timely completion of activities and deliverables.
- Assist the implementation of MENA project activities in the focus countries.
- Support advocacy related MENA.
- Maintaining close working relationships with partners, consultants and key contacts to ensure ongoing engagement
- Overseeing logistical preparations and organizational needs for activity participants, consultants, and WILPF staff.
- Travel within the MENA regional to provide in-country support when needed
- INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL COMMUNICATIONS
- Coordinating with national/local partners in Arabic and English, as well as with other programs of WILPF in Geneva and New York.
- Liaising with international, regional, and local organisations and stakeholders, as well as special consultants to the project, including representing WILPF at national and international meetings
- Work closely with the Communications Manager to ensure timely implementation of the communication strategy for the project, which includes writing blogs and analyses when needed
- Assisting the Communications and Project Managers in the development of toolkits, manuals and resource material for the project
- Providing accurate translation and proofreading of correspondence, training materials and other documents, as well as informal interpretation in meetings;
- Research, Analysis and Writing
- Monitoring of relevant political developments
- Conducting thorough and timely follow up of submissions to relevant human rights mechanisms, including the Human Rights Council, Treaty Bodies and Special Procedures.
- Provide analysis and contribute to WILPF position on MENA
- Prepare a range of written materials, including policy analyses and advocacy documents targeting policy-makers and broader audience.
- Assist Operations, Funding and Finances:
Assist funding through the contributing to drafting or updating proposals and reporting to funders. Supporting the program manager in the monitoring of ongoing scopes of work to ensure accuracy of activities vis-à-vis contractual and grant commitments. Adhering to administrative and recordkeeping guidelines to support the Finance/Admin team with accurate bookkeeping and documentation of activities
- WILPF Community:
Collaborate with WILPF Community to identify and create opportunities that support WILPF work on disarmament including:
- Liaise with other WILPF teams to coordinate work and update other teams at WILPF on MENA developments and feed into their plans and projects.
- Coordinate and engagement with WILPF’s sections related to MENA
- Attends monthly WILPF editorial board meetings to plan disarmament contributions to the overall WILPF communication.
- Support and attend WILPF meetings including WILPF Sections as part of WILPF disarmament projects.
- OTHER: Carry out other duties as required.
- A Master’s degree in Politics, International Relations, Law, Gender, Middle Eastern studies, or a similar field.
- A minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English and Arabic. Proficiency in French is an asset.
- Excellent organizational skills, communication skills and sound political judgment.
- Ability to produce clear and analytical written report, newsletters and blogs.
- Self-motivated and can demonstrate considerable initiative and be able to manage and complete many tasks independently and simultaneously.
- Excellent administrative and computer/technology skills.
Reporting line: MENA Director
Duration: 1 year
Terms: Full time.
Based in: Geneva, Switzerland
Salary: 55 ‘ 000 – 60’000 CHF per year, depending on experience
Please submit your CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Application for MENA Associate” in the subject line. We only receive applications by email. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Applications deadline: 7 January 2019