JOB OPPORTUNITY FOR GENDER MAINSTREAMING AT WORK EXPERT
We are looking for an Arabic speaking expert on gender-mainstreaming to join our Middle Eastern and North Africa team between July and December 2018, to deliver a training to Feminist Syrian organisations on gender mainstreaming at organisational and project levels.
The Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom (WILPF) is an international feminist anti-war organisation, founded in 1915. We have a specific focus on issues concerning women, peace and security. Since our establishment, we have brought together women from around the world, working together for peace by non-violent means.
About the Project
As part of WILPF’s strategic goal to “Amplify Local and Regional Change” with special focus on the MENA region, WILPF established the Feminist Movement for Change in Syria project with the aim of preserving and growing the grassroots nonviolent movement for equality, freedom and justice in Syria.
This pilot project was designed for organisations in Syria, including WILPF partners, who have emphasised repeatedly the devastating effects of the lack of core funding on their programming and organisational capacity and development, and their ability to plan and implement programs and activities to reach out to Syrian women and further their feminist agenda for social and political change.
Through this project, WILPF is aiming to empower Syrian organisations with feminist values and agendas through responsive and flexible core funding, tailored technical support and creating feminist spaces for collective growth and mobilisation.
This support aims to improve partners’ understanding of gender mainstreaming methodologies, approaches and strategies and enhance their practical skills to mainstream gender in their operations and policies
- Design and deliver gender mainstreaming training to partners in Arabic, combining normative frameworks with participatory and creative methods.
- Develop customised, accessible and practical tools in Arabic to apply gender mainstreaming methodologies in operations after consultations with partners.
- Design innovative gender sensitive organisational policies and practices tailored for small and big organisation.
- Check in with partners once a month after the training to answer any follow-up questions and provide further support in applying what was learned.
- Prepare a database of relevant resources on gender mainstreaming to be shared with participants.
- Submit a final report with a summary of the training methodology, activities and achieved results.
- Written and spoken fluency in both Arabic and English.
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English and Arabic.
- At least eight years of professional experience in gender issues specifically gender mainstreaming at organisational and project levels.
- Previous work experience and knowledge of the MENA region.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience of different gender mainstreaming tools and approaches and applying them effectively at organisational and project levels.
- Ability to design and tailor the training based on the needs of the participants.
- Proven communication and facilitation skills with varied stakeholders and audiences.
- Excellent skills in teamwork and consensus-building/partnership-building in a multicultural setting.
- An understanding of the social, political, economic, cultural development/humanitarian landscapes in Syria is a great asset.
- Ability to travel to Lebanon or MENA region to deliver the training.
A total of 8,000 CHF excluding reimbursable costs.
How to apply
Send your CV, samples of similar work and a brief work plan to sariah.ghazzaoui (a) wilpf.org with “Gender Mainstreaming Expert” in the subject line. We only receive applications by email. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview.
July 1, 2018.