Crisis Response Junior Associate
Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom (WILPF) is a non-governmental organisation established in 1915, working worldwide for peace and security with two international offices in Geneva and in New York City.
WILPF International is looking for an Arabic speaking Junior associate at the Crisis Response programme.
- Research and monitoring of the situation in target countries, particularly on issues related to women’s rights and peace and security.
- Support the implementation of project activities as agreed in the Annual work plan in close collaboration with team members and national partners.
- Follow-up and monitoring of project activities (progress reports, budget reports and newsletters).
- Follow up of submissions to relevant human rights mechanisms (including the Human Rights Council, the Treaty Bodies, Special Procedures).
- Coordination with national/local partners in Arabic and English, as well as with other programs of WILPF in Geneva and New York.
- Liaison with international and regional organisations and stakeholders, as well as special consultants to the project.
- Development and maintenance of web-site and communication strategy for the project (especially in Arabic).
- Assisting in the development of toolkits, manuals and resource material for the project.
- Translation of documents from English to Arabic and from Arabic to English and interpretation during meetings and interviews.
- Proofread translations of documents by other translators to ensure that all materials in documents are accurate and conform to WILPF standards.
- Provide administrative support by taking minutes and scheduling internal and external meetings.
- Assist with planning conferences and workshops by undertaking logistical preparations.
Academic AND PROFESSIONAL requirements
- Advanced degree in gender studies, human rights, international relations, or related field.
- A minimum of 2 years working experience in human rights issues and women peace and security agenda, including work in both national and international organizations.
- Experience in the international human rights system including submitting communications to regional and international treaty bodies.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English and Arabic. Proficiency in French is an asset.
- Training or experience on communication strategy in the NGO field is an asset.
- Proven ability to critically analyse, evaluate and integrate information from different sources
- Strong communication skills (spoken, written and presentational), with the ability to produce clear and analytical written report, newsletters and blogs.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in multi-cultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
- Proven ability to establish priorities and to plan work assignments. Experience of work under pressure in frequently changing environment and circumstances.
Reporting line: Program Director Crisis Response
Duration: until 31 December 2015, with the option of 12 months renewal
Terms: Full time position
Salary: Based on experience
Based in: Geneva, Switzerland – with possible travel to the MENA region
Start date: ASAP
Please submit your CV, cover letter, and English and Arabic writing samples (no longer than 2 pages each) to email@example.com with “Application for Crisis Response Junior Associate” in the subject for consideration.
Applications deadline: 7th July 2015 (interviews will be done on a rolling basis)