We seek a pro-active communicator for our MENA work
At the heart of the Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom (WILPF) is the belief that women will lead the way to change, and that peace is only possible when more women with feminist approaches hold more positions of power, responsibility, and influence. WILPF is a nonprofit international Feminist peace organisation founded in 1915 and active in nearly 60 countries; it includes sections, groups and partner organisations.
Since 2011, we have worked closely with grassroots feminist organisations in the Middle East North Africa (MENA) region and supported them in their efforts to organise, strategise, influence and work for peace and gender-justice. Our MENA projects and initiatives are highly successful due to our unique working methods that build on a comprehensive gender-sensitive conflict analysis and always involve close cooperation and consultation with our partners.
Due to our success, we are now seeking a pro-active, innovative and detailed-orientated communications associate to join our team and help us leverage our communications about our projects and initiatives in the MENA region in both Arabic and English.
This is where you come into the picture.
As our new Communications Associate, you will be responsible for leveraging, managing and coordinating our communications about WILPF’s work in the MENA region. You will be part of our MENA team and work in close collaboration with our communications team. Your work with WILPF will be exciting, diverse, fast-paced and sometimes highly challenging. If you come with a personal drive, a passion for feminist peace, in-depth knowledge about the region, women’s rights, and movement building, then we will in return take you on both a professional and personal journey.
- Strategic communications
- Implement and continuously develop WILPF communications strategy for our projects in the MENA region.
- Develop and implement campaign and communications plans for individual projects, campaigns, events and happenings connected to the work scope of WILPF’s MENA programme.
- General communications
- Create content for WILPF’s communications channels (webpages, blogs, photos, videos, interviews etc.) regarding our work in the MENA region, and hereunder be the editor of our newsletter being published for our MENA partners.
- Create content for external communications channels/media channels (op-eds, opinion pieces, ads etc.) regarding our work and our partners in the MENA region – be pro-active in finding opportunities for profiling our work.
- Develop and maintain new products and platforms that we decide to make for our projects in the MENA region.
- Produce and/or assist with the development of MENA toolkits, publications, prints, videos and similar, hereunder coordinating with external designers, videographers, editors, translators, proof-readers etc.
- Take part in workshops, training sessions etc. of MENA partners, hereunder ensuring communications materials needed for these events and for profiling of the events on WILPF communications channels when relevant.
- Be the focal point for requests from MENA partners regarding communications, hereunder checking all materials of partners mentioning WILPF and/or using our logo.
- Proofread and approve all texts in Arabic that will be published on WILPF’s communications channels.
- File and organise documents related to WILPF communications about the work in the MENA region.
- Advocacy and event coordinating
- Assist with WILPF’s communications about our MENA work/or partners at the UN or other formal and informal venues, hereunder coordinating live streaming of side events, interviewing activists, creating event materials such as flyers, posters, name signs, power point slides, packages of event materials and similar.
- Assist with submissions to the UN: coordination, copyediting, proofreading, liaising with partners, designers, WILPF communications team.
- Assist with communications materials for roundtables, bilateral meetings etc. when relevant: invitation flyers, fact sheets, power points, coordination of event and similar.
- Pro-actively contact the media around WILPF’s MENA events at the UN in Geneva, in New York, and elsewhere to support the advocacy work of the MENA programme.
- Monitoring, evaluation and learning
- Utilise statistics tools like Google Analytics to track WILPF’s progress in profiling our work in the MENA region on social media.
- Provide digital analytics to WILPF’s Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) work.
- Monitor political tendencies, stories, partner news, partner opportunities etc. online (web, social media), so that WILPF stays updated on relevant progress and opportunities.
- Management and reporting
- Assist with the supervision of MENA Interns on matters related to communications and events.
- The Communications Associate reports to the MENA Director and is supervised by the Communications Manager.
- Ability to plan, coordinate, implement and profile WILPF’s work in the MENA region on WILPF communications channels and external channels.
- Ability to plan, coordinate, and leverage WILPF communications around our political work at the UN and its (treaty) bodies, hereunder ensuring deadlines are kept and communication materials support the advocacy goals.
Knowledge and Skills
- Experience with classical communications, hereunder web-editing, email marketing, storytelling, publications and prints.
- Strong skills in social media and online communications.
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills in both Arabic and English.
- Proven track record in campaign/project management and implementation.
- Extremely detail orientated, while at the same time able to see the bigger picture.
- Ability to establish priorities and to maintain variety of projects and activities simultaneously.
- Ability to network, build relations, and turn technocratic work into appealing stories.
- Skills in media relations a plus.
- Skills in photography, videomaking a plus.
- User of Adobe Creative Suite, WordPress and Mailchimp (or similar email marketing tools).
- Strong collaborative skills and ability to organise work across departments to achieve common objectives.
- Good knowledge of and interest in WILPF’s work, aims and principles.
Education and Experience
- University degree in communications, public relations, journalism, literature or equivalent.
- Two (2) years of relevant professional experience.
- Prior experience in NGOs, UN system and/or Campaign organisations a plus.
Terms of Employment
1 year contract with a possibility of renewal, 100%
Starting date: asap
Gross monthly salary: TBD based on location
Location: Location is flexible, preferably Geneva or London.
If you believe you are the communicator we are seeking, then send a cover letter and your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 25 April 2019. Please write: “Communications Associate” in the subject field.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications without cover letter and CV will not be accepted.