Make Peace a Reality Postcard Actions
FLOOD CONGRESS WITH POSTCARDS!
END THE WAR IN IRAQ!
PLEASE RETURN POSTCARDS TO THE WILPF NATIONAL OFFICE
It is time. More than 4000 U.S. soldiers are dead. More than 650,000 Iraqis have been killed. The war in Iraq has escalated to absurd levels of brutality.
While President-Elect Obama has promised to remove US troops from Iraq, we still need to keep up a grassroots movement of citizens demanding an end to this war.
Goal: Bring the Troops Home Now!
- Cut the funding for the Iraq war, with the exception of funding for social or humanitarian needs for the Iraqi people
- Repeal the authorization of the use of force against Iraq that was passed by Congress in 2002;
- Require the complete withdrawal of US troops and contractors
- Turn security activities and military operations in Iraq over to the elected Iraqi government within 6 months of the date of enactment; Prohibit the US from establishing permanent bases in Iraq;
- Accelerate the training and equipping of Iraqi military and security forces;
- Pursue security and stability in Iraq through diplomacy;
- Provide assistance to the Iraqi government in recovering archeological, cultural and historic artifacts that have been lost since the US invasion;
- Fully fund veterans health care;
- Turn security activities and military operations in Iraq over to the elected Iraqi government
Action: Pressure the House of Representatives to pass:
"The Safe and Orderly Withdrawal Act" [Rep. Jim McGovern ]
H. R. 508 -- Bring Our Troops Home and Sovereignty of Iraq Restoration Act of 2007 [Rep. Lynn Woolsey]
At meetings and events, have people write postcards to your representatives (samples below) and use them in one of two ways:
1. Deliver the postcards to your representative’s office and use the contact to make an appointment to discuss national and international concerns. (please contact (wilpf@WILPF.org. or call 617 266 0999) with a report of the number of cards delivered.
2. Send the postcards to WILPF at 11 Arlington St., Boston MA 02116 for distribution to the Washington office of your Representative.
Please vote yes on "The Safe and Orderly Withdrawal Act", introduced by Rep. Jim McGovern. Congress has the power to stop this war that has taken so many lives. This war has gone on longer than our involvement in WW II. We must support our troops by bringing them home!
Member of WILPF Branch
Please vote yes on H. R. 508 -- Bring Our Troops Home and Sovereignty of Iraq Restoration Act of 2007, introduced by Rep. Lynn Woolsey. It will save lives, bodies, and minds, and it will give Iraq back to the Iraqis. It is an important step in regaining our credibility in the region and throughout the world, and provides the President, and this Congress, with a comprehensive way to respond to the majority of Americans who want our troops to come home.
Member of WILPF Branch
Thank you so much for your commitment towards ending the war in Iraq. I support your actions on ____________ and would like to commend you for your commitment to acting in the interest of your constituency.
Text of Bills
"The Safe and Orderly Withdrawal Act", introduced by Rep. Jim McGovern has not been introduced at the time of writing
H.R.508- Bring Our Troops Home and Sovereignty of Iraq Restoration Act of 2007
Title: To require United States military disengagement from Iraq, to provide United States assistance for reconstruction and reconciliation in Iraq, and for other purposes.
For full text of bill, visit Thomas.loc.gov
Sponsor: Rep Woolsey, Lynn C. [CA-6] (introduced 1/17/2007) Cosponsors (25)
Latest Major Action: 1/17/2007 Referred to House committee.
Status: Referred to the Committee on Foreign Affairs, and in addition to the Committees on Armed Services, Veterans' Affairs, Rules, and the Judiciary, for a period to be subsequently determined by the Speaker, in each case for consideration of such provisions as fall within the jurisdiction of the committee concerned.
COSPONSORS(25), ALPHABETICAL [followed by Cosponsors withdrawn]:
Rep Brady, Robert A. [PA-1] - 1/22/2007
Rep Brown, Corrine [FL-3] - 1/18/2007
Rep Carson, Julia [IN-7] - 1/18/2007
Rep Clay, Wm. Lacy [MO-1] - 1/17/2007
Rep Cohen, Steve [TN-9] - 1/17/2007
Rep Conyers, John, Jr. [MI-14] - 1/17/2007
Rep Davis, Danny K. [IL-7] - 1/18/2007
Rep Ellison, Keith [MN-5] - 1/18/2007
Rep Farr, Sam [CA-17] - 1/18/2007
Rep Fattah, Chaka [PA-2] - 1/17/2007
Rep Filner, Bob [CA-51] - 1/17/2007
Rep Frank, Barney [MA-4] - 1/17/2007
Rep Grijalva, Raul M. [AZ-7] - 1/17/2007
Rep Hinchey, Maurice D. [NY-22] - 1/17/2007
Rep Jackson-Lee, Sheila [TX-18] - 1/17/2007
Rep Kucinich, Dennis J. [OH-10] - 1/17/2007
Rep Lee, Barbara [CA-9] - 1/17/2007
Rep Lewis, John [GA-5] - 1/18/2007
Rep McGovern, James P. [MA-3] - 1/17/2007
Rep Nadler, Jerrold [NY-8] - 1/17/2007
Rep Payne, Donald M. [NJ-10] - 1/17/2007
Rep Schakowsky, Janice D. [IL-9] - 1/18/2007
Rep Stark, Fortney Pete [CA-13] - 1/18/2007
Rep Waters, Maxine [CA-35] - 1/17/2007
Rep Watson, Diane E. [CA-33] - 1/17/2007