UNITE AGAINST CITIZENS UNITED! Demonstrate on January 21, 2011!
Organized money is backing endless war, environmental damage, climate change and conflict in the Middle East.
The only way to fight organized money is with organized people!
UNITE AGAINST CITIZENS UNITED!
Organize Now In Your Area For
Rallies or Demonstrations on (or around)
Friday, January 21st, 2011
1st Anniversary of the U.S. Supreme Court ruling on
Citizens United v. the Federal Election Commission.
80% of Americans polled last spring said the Supreme Court ruling was wrong!
BACKGROUND: Corporate America is raking in more profits than ever before. They are using those dollars to weaken the safety net that protects We The People and to effectively silence us. The new Congress will be stacked with members who owe their allegiance to the vastly wealthy corporations that funded their campaigns. They will take their lead from weapons manufacturers, big ag, dirty old energy corporations, corporate polluters and free trade junkies. The ‘profits at any price’ crowd.
The Citizens United ruling allows such corporations to spend as much money as they wish to sway elections, reward those who act in the interest of Corporate America, and punish those who stand in their way.
In poll after poll, Americans say corporations have too much power. It’s time to put an end to Corporate Rule based on the false doctrine of personhood and corporate constitutional rights.
Join the Democracy movement,
It’s the civil rights movement of the 21st Century.
Corporate Power stops every issue WILPF works to advance.
Join the nearly 100,000 Americans who have signed the “Motion to Amend” (at www.MoveToAmend.org) Together with Move To Amend, WILPF is organizing to build a national popular movement. We aim to pass a Constitutional amendment asserting that human beings, not corporations, are entitled to constitutional rights.
This amendment would establish that money is not speech and that corporations do not have rights under the 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th and 14th amendments. Rights they got illegitimately by Supreme Court fiat and are using against We The People to fund endless war, damage the planet and end self-rule.
What YOU can do in your community on January 21st?
Start now– begin making plans before the holidays. Work with friends, neighbors, reach out to local community, student and other organizations for an effective coalition. Invite them to a meeting NOW to plan the most effective kind of action to take on the 21st. Here are some ideas:
1. Meet to make a plan. Meet soon and invite diverse individuals and groups to collaborate.
2. Organize a public gathering to generate support. Hold a house party, or meet at a coffee shop or locally-owned restaurant to discuss plans for Jan. 21st and build support for the event. Work together to get folks to show up on the 21st.
This can be an opportunityfor a teach-in on corporate influence and harms in your community.
- Use Open Secrets [ http://www.opensecrets.org/] to highlight what corporate America spent to get “their” favorite local , state and federal candidates elected to do “their” business, not the business of We, the People.
- Start brush fires of democracy with kitchen table democracy training sessions, using the WILPF timeline and corporate study course, downloadable for free from www.WILPF.org.
- Show an animated powerpoint to explain what’s at stake at www.ultimatecivics.org/spresent.html.
3. Plan a RALLY or other public demonstration for January 21st that incorporates dramatic images, street theatre or costumes for photo ops. Be sure you have any necessary permits acquired in plenty of time! Use high traffic locations like:
- Places of government and finance, local government buildings or the state capitol. Find your federal courthouse at http://www.uscourts.gov/court_locator.aspx
- At national corporation headquarters, or
- At local or state Chamber of Commerce headquarters.
4. Be creative and visual. Create a skit that acts out The Court’s Big Give Away of constitutional rights – a fun, creative event attracts people and media.
- Mourners dressed in black and holding a funeral for the death of democracy.
- Supreme Court justices in black robes giving corporate bigwigs the key to elections.
- Corporate bigwigs stuffing a ballot box with money.
- Citizens trying to get past corporate bigwigs to put a single ballot in the ballot box
- Corporate bigwigs dangling puppets: legislators, judges, governor, president, etc.
5. Resources: Distribute materials and capture contact information to build more support later on!
- Contact Marybeth Gardam firstname.lastname@example.org a half-page flyer explaining the Citizens United decision and describing Move To Amend and its campaign to abolish corporate personhood.
- Download Abolish Corporate Personhood flyer from WILPF website at www.wilpf.org/CPOWER_abolish
- Create your own fliers and handouts using materials at MovetoAmend.org.click on LEARN MORE http://movetoamend.org/learn-more.
- Contact Nancy Abbey at email@example.com a bookmark flyer “Who Decides: You or Mega Corporations?
6. Tell The World! Publicize your planning meetings and event, use your local media.
- Letters to the Editor and Op-Eds.
- Submit spots for community TV, radio and internet communication tools.
- Inform local bloggers and streaming webcast hosts.
- Don’t rely on other people alone…. document your event with photos and video to post on-line and share with the Move To Amend community.
7. Let us know what you have done for the anniversary of the Citizens United decision. Contact Marybeth Gardem firstname.lastname@example.org
8. Support Our Work. Okay so you can’t be part of this right now, but you stand with us in spirit. Contribute $10 or $25 or $50 or $100 right now to help WILPF as we stand up to organized money with organized people!
Get your branch up and on your feet about this urgent threat to our democracy!